Skip to main content

@MsiaTrip: First Johor Bahru Shopping Trip after Covid-19

    This is my first trip to Malaysia, Johor Bahru (JB) after Covid-19. I went with my wife and her friend. This is the first time for my wife's friend to visit Malaysia. Earlier heard the jam at Malaysia custom or Causeway bridge made me worried how long we need to clear the Malaysia custom. 

    We travel to Kranji MRT station to take SBS Transit Bus 170, 170x or 160. This is the usual route I take to Malaysia, JB. My wife wanted to try taking the train to Malaysia, but the timing is not suitable so I rejected it. Another reason is I am not familiar with how to go to Woodlands Train Checkpoint. I am not comfortable to use a route I am not familiar and also need to try out my favourite route.

    We left about 9am from Pioneer MRT station and noticed that this timing has lesser crowd. Maybe I will stick with this timing since it is pretty crowded when we left at 10 - 10.30am. With a stroke of luck, we cleared the custom about 12.40pm. This is the first time I reached JB fastest. 

Below is my itinerary for this trip, not including timing, once I cleared Malaysia Custom:

    1. Go to JB Sentral Bus Terminal to take bus to KSL City Mall.
    2. What to do at KSL City Mall:
    • Shopping, only supermarket in this area.
    • Massage, I prefer to go Holiday Plaza as it is cheaper.
    • More restaurants here in this area. I prefer to eat at KSL City Mall for more food choices and street food.
    3. Eat lunch at KSL. If I reach late, around 1-2pm, have light lunch at KSL City Mall as go Holiday Plaza for massage first. 
    4. Walk to Holiday Plaza from KSL. About 10 min walk. 
    5. Things to do at Holiday Plaza:
    • Shop for chinese medical herbs, chinese medicine
    • Shop for phone accessories or gadget accessories
    • Cheap massage:
      • RM 45 for foot massage for 1 hour
      • RM 60 for body massage for 1 hour
    6. Massage for up to 2 hours. 
    7. Go back to KSL City Mall. 
    8. Eat dinner.
    9. Take Causeway Link F100 bus back to JB Sentral Bus Terminal.

    We walked to JB Sentral Bus Terminal. Since the escalator is renovating, we took the lift down to the JB Sentral Bus Terminal. We took Causeway Link F100 (each person RM1.50) bus to KSL City Mall. 

JB KSL building

    When reaching KSL City Mall, there is the same concourse selling clothes, shoes, bags, luggage and bed sheets. We visited the Watson store at Level 1. We then shop around this level, from clothes to sports shop. Then we went down to Ground Level to the supermarket to look for my wife's favourite coffee and high calcium milk powder. We noticed that Tessco supermarket has been replaced with Lotus supermarket. 

We then found the coffee that my wife loved and also the high calcium milk powder price increased to RM50+, from previously close to RM40. 

Super Essenso Microground Arabica Instant 2 in 1 Coffee
Nestle OMEGA PLUS Milk Powder


At Lotus supermarket, I noticed that the price for ShoyueMi Original Flavour in Malaysia is a lot cheaper compared to Singapore. It was selling at discounted RM4. The "chicken brand" local store at Holiday Plaza sell 30 packs at RM12.90. 
ShoyueMi Original Flavour

Usually, the price in the supermarket is the cheapest, compared to local product or medical stores. I would prefer to check the price of stuff I want at supermarket before comparing in local product or medical stores. 

We ate a quick lunch with steam buns and hot drink as we are planning to go massage later at Holiday Plaza. The buns and siewmai tastes good and we decided to come back to buy some back to Singapore. 

Holiday Plaza
Below are some changes to now at Holiday Plaza:
  • MacDonald and KFC has closed down. Only small cafe selling local food. We forgot to check the zichar that we frequently visit.
  • Still have Chinese medical stores at level 1 so can buy dried goods if you want.
  • Only left chicken brand local store in Holiday Plaza.
  • Phone accessories stores and repair stores are still available. 
  • The massage shop (level 1, near stairs and beside a shop selling salon stuff) we frequently visit has closed but taken over by another Chinese boss. The male massager, Joe is from Myanmar and has 10 years experience. The lady massager that massage my wife is not consistence. 
We then end our trip by having dinner at the Roasted Duck restaurant at level 3, same level as the cinema. Then we make our way back to level 1 to take bus back to JB Sentral Bus Terminal and make our way home to Singapore. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iSAVvy: Financial Independence — The Lows

Low on cash? What have you been spending on? Image from: Photo by  cottonbro  from  Pexels Financial independence is essentially able to sustain your lifestyle with the amount of money you have without working. This is one of life’s most difficult problems everyone has and many are unable to overcome it. —— Dickson Idlier I am not a financial consultant. What I wrote here is purely my opinion. The road to my financial independence is essentially be low on debts and expenses and high in investments and assets. How to control your expenses and debts depends on what is essential to you. I prefer rejecting any instalments (debts) whenever possible and have a simple lifestyle. After these, then build up your savings, investments and assets. This is how I did without many details but I think it is the easiest to get started. Ways to keep a low debt and expenses: Food is essential but not all kinds of food. Try keeping food expenses low but not compromising on quality. Reduce eating too exp

BrainTeasers: Cross Fire 穿越火线

Image from: Mewatch.com Country: China Genre: Gaming, Time Travel Release Date: 2020 Rating:  ★★★ ★★ I just finished watching this drama on Mewatch.com. This is one of the best dramas that I have ever watched, especially since it is on esport. Initially, I wanted to watch it due to an esport drama, but it turned out to be such an excellent drama.  The drama is about 2 esport players for Crossfire game, XiaoFeng (Seven), a team leader for 1coin team in the year 2008 and another is XiaoBei (North), team leader for Continue team in the year 2019.  They somehow managed to contact each other through this game during an accident. With this encounter, they later managed to realize who each other is and they helped each other during different time eras to try to make some changes that happened. Through this, XiaoFeng managed to win the first CrossFire competition in China and XiaoBei managed to form an esport team and continued to compete CrossFire as a professional player.  One scene, it show

BrainTeasers: Main Chinese speakers Profiles from my educational videos

I realized that I may have to include the profiles of the same speakers in multiple posts so I decided to summaries the main Chinese speakers that I liked and used their educational videos to translate to English for the English audience who are unfamiliar with Mandarin. Since their videos are so interesting and our unique chinese form of wisdom and thinking. These are the three main chinese speakers that I liked: Yi Zhong Tian (易中天) Yu Dan (于丹) Zeng Shi Qiang (曾仕強) He has limited videos that I think are suitable for me to put into this blog but I thinks he is a good speaker. Those interested can take a look at his videos from the "Lecture Room series". Think all are in Mandarin.  — Dickson Idlier Pictture from https://new.qq.com/omn/20191026/20191026A0KNWX00.html Yi Zhongtian 易中天 (born 8 February 1947) is a Chinese writer and historian. He is also a professor and Ph.D. supervisor at the Department of Chinese Language and Literature at Xiamen University's School of Humani